Directions for Book Blogging

Welcome to our summer book blog! Unlike most blogs that have one blogger- everyone gets to blog about the book, To Engineer is Human, and share ideas about K-12 engineering education and the "human side" of engineering. To reply to a post, click on Comments at the bottom of the post. To start a new post, click on New Post at the top right. However, to start a new post you have to have a Google account. If you don't want to register on Google, you can send me the text for your post and a title, and I will post it for you.

Who do we have on the blog? Our book blog consists of 16 high school teachers, 1 middle school teacher, 7 elementary teachers, 4 faculty or engineering students from the University of Maine, 3 MMSA staff, and 2 DOE staff. We have a diverse and well-rounded book group which should lead to some interesting conversations. One thing to remember- the most recent post is always at the top of the blog. If you haven't been on for awhile, scroll down and work backwards.

If you start a new post you also have the option of adding photos or other graphics as well as making a hyperlink. Play around with it a bit to get to know how it works. Try a test post- you can always delete it afterwards. Also, you will notice we will build a collection of links listed on the right. Since only the person (Page) with the Google account can add these, if you have any you would like to share, just send them to me at pagekeeley@gmail.com and I will post them for you. This is the first time we have ever tried this as a blog, so we're all getting our feet wet. Don't hesitate to wade right in!

Monday, July 23, 2012

Now I know the reason for all those broken toys through the years...the engineering concept of fatigue.  I love the author's example of the Speak and Spell in Chapter 3.  It is interesting to imagine the engineers dilemma in creating a child's toy without "overcreating" and making the toy too heavy, too cumbersome or just too expensive.  They must also create this toy to last a reasonable amount of time.   With this in mind, toy recalls still happens when a child is injured by a "faulty design."

We often blame engineers for failures so this quote at the end of Chapter 2 made perfect sense. "It is as if engineers and non-engineers alike, begin human, want their creations to be superhuman.  And that may not seem to be an unrealistic aspiration, for the flesh and bone of steel and tone can seem immortal when compared with the likes of man."   Engineers continue to be human however and therefore we should not be surprised that those toys do not last forever!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that we want things to last forever even if they were never designed to last forever (and we generally know it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this chapter because I had a Speak and Spell that did lose 4 of its buttons including the "e" and the "s". I remember putting a pencil in the holes to trigger the signal. I was amused by how the author was angry about the toy breaking while his son just adapted - of course he was the one who paid for it. In the same chapter there was a discussion about shoe laces breaking and I mused about how cotton ones stay tied much better but do break more often than the nylon ones.

    ReplyDelete