Directions for Book Blogging

Welcome to our summer book blog! Unlike most blogs that have one blogger- everyone gets to blog about the book, To Engineer is Human, and share ideas about K-12 engineering education and the "human side" of engineering. To reply to a post, click on Comments at the bottom of the post. To start a new post, click on New Post at the top right. However, to start a new post you have to have a Google account. If you don't want to register on Google, you can send me the text for your post and a title, and I will post it for you.

Who do we have on the blog? Our book blog consists of 16 high school teachers, 1 middle school teacher, 7 elementary teachers, 4 faculty or engineering students from the University of Maine, 3 MMSA staff, and 2 DOE staff. We have a diverse and well-rounded book group which should lead to some interesting conversations. One thing to remember- the most recent post is always at the top of the blog. If you haven't been on for awhile, scroll down and work backwards.

If you start a new post you also have the option of adding photos or other graphics as well as making a hyperlink. Play around with it a bit to get to know how it works. Try a test post- you can always delete it afterwards. Also, you will notice we will build a collection of links listed on the right. Since only the person (Page) with the Google account can add these, if you have any you would like to share, just send them to me at pagekeeley@gmail.com and I will post them for you. This is the first time we have ever tried this as a blog, so we're all getting our feet wet. Don't hesitate to wade right in!

Monday, July 16, 2012

My personal connection to engineering

My personal connection to engineering would have to come from my grandfathers. One of them taught engineering courses at the University of Maryland and the other was a professor of mathematics there as well. Unfortunately one of them died before I could spend a lot of time with him intellectually, but he spent a lot of time with me when I was younger. He and my grandmother built their own house and they both had many hobbies. He built the grandfather clock that I now own. He was a shining example of having an education, and being able to do things around the house. I never got a chance to discuss engineering with him, but he showed me that you can be talented in many aspects of life, including living honestly. I spent more time with my other grandfather (the mathematician) later in life. He had retired and his hobby was 1/8th scale model railroads. The engines were still large enough (300-1000 pounds each) that when we built the track through his property we had to survey, engineer, worry about slope and elevation, and make sure that the boilers wouldn't explode. He also had a lathe and vertical mill with which he built one of his engines from castings. With real steam engines operating at 100 psi, I learned about safety and testing and failures. He never called it engineering, he just called it fun. A friend still operates his website in his memory (www.wcrr.org)

4 comments:

  1. Corbin - I love that your grandfather never what he did "engineering" but just called it fun! Thanks for sharing your personal connection - what a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corbin,
    What a nice tribute to your grandfathers. I think we should all remember that fun is an important part of what we do with our students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corbin,
    Thank you for sharing your personal connection to engineering , I can see how fun and passion married for your grandfather, since I just took the opportunity to visit his website, wcrr.org. Your grandfather’s memory is truly honored. I just watched the first of many videos listed on the site, I felt as though I was on a train ride, with a bit of acceleration here and there. We have 4 grandson’s between 11 and 7 years of age, who will enjoy watching , when they arrive for a visit August 4. Are there ever times when the property is open to the public for viewing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it isn't open to the public. We do have a "steam day" once a year that the public can come to, but that is subject to my uncle's work schedule. Unfortunately, that schedule cuts out August every year.

      Delete