“ The Significance of Significant Digits”- a reflective
response to the start of chapter 15
In chapter
15 within the discussion of the slide rule and before the benefits and risks of
computer aided engineering exists 2 interesting quotes that I like to draw from page 190. “…We were expected to know that we could
only report answers to three significant digits from our rules… answers are
approximations and should only be reported as accurately as the input is known…” I do not know how many people’s eyes glazed
over at this while mine lit up. The merits of teaching significant digits
within the curriculum of college prep chemistry has become questionable in my
last 4 years of teaching (the previous 14 years I did not have the same issue
either since I had more time each week with my students or I just had more
energy and will power.) Most high
school students do not love the idea nor understand the merit of reporting to 1
estimated digit so that there is a common system of what is known and what is
approximated. I have in fact cut the
time and energy spent on this topic considerably. However, I have also had each year students
smiling and explaining to me they correctly answered a significant figures
question on a state test for math
or some other high stakes test.
I guess
this also has such importance to me because it is such an excellent example of
using STEM . Although I would like to ignore the work of significant digits in
my class, it is a necessity in engineering and scientific testing. Therefore I believe it should also be
reinforced through high school physics and math classes. I have found it listed in Maine’s math
standards but not chemistry or physics –yet I will continue to be the gremlin
that will mark points off when an answer is written as 3.64512g/mL when it
should just be 3.65g/mL .
Does anyone
else in the SCITEC have students report their calculated answers to the correct
significant figure? Does anyone else in
SCITEC have their students mark the estimated digit within the measurements
they take to reinforce that there is always approximation even when they use
something like a digital balance?
Posted on behalf of Sheryl O'Donoghue
No comments:
Post a Comment