A smile formed on my face as I read page 126;
“ The crack would open suddenly and the inertia of the handle I would be holding could drive my fist down onto the edge of the plate. The whole thing could flip up off the table, propelling the severed blade end over end through the air, out through my open window, across the driveway, into the open window of my neighbor, through the bars of his bird cage, and through the canary’s throat. “
The last part is a bit macabre (perhaps the sound of a canary’s song was not his favorite )
This sentence did remind me of a Rube Goldburg type design.
How can I relate this to the primary classroom? I am thinking of two words FUN and ENGINEERING
Second graders, I found this past year, enjoyed playing the game Mouse Trap. Using the Smartboard I shared a few Rube Goldberg cartoon designs, the students then drew and shared their own creations. I think with more than a touch of engineering this experience can be worthwhile, educational, and one that is smile evoking for most seven and eight year old children.
What do you think, does this seem reasonable?
Dawn Marie Castner
Second Grade Teacher
Mt. View Elementary
Thorndike,Maine 04986
“ The crack would open suddenly and the inertia of the handle I would be holding could drive my fist down onto the edge of the plate. The whole thing could flip up off the table, propelling the severed blade end over end through the air, out through my open window, across the driveway, into the open window of my neighbor, through the bars of his bird cage, and through the canary’s throat. “
The last part is a bit macabre (perhaps the sound of a canary’s song was not his favorite )
This sentence did remind me of a Rube Goldburg type design.
How can I relate this to the primary classroom? I am thinking of two words FUN and ENGINEERING
Second graders, I found this past year, enjoyed playing the game Mouse Trap. Using the Smartboard I shared a few Rube Goldberg cartoon designs, the students then drew and shared their own creations. I think with more than a touch of engineering this experience can be worthwhile, educational, and one that is smile evoking for most seven and eight year old children.
What do you think, does this seem reasonable?
Dawn Marie Castner
Second Grade Teacher
Mt. View Elementary
Thorndike,Maine 04986
I think it is great! I would only suggest two things:
ReplyDelete1. Make sure that the goal is clear.
2. Students won't always use models or ideas, they will just build. Make sure to have then justify what they do. A picture journal or video documentation might help, I don't know what second graders can do.
Good luck!
THanks, I'll try both suggestions
DeleteMy students really enjoy this activity on the Smartboard:
ReplyDeletehttp://inventionatplay.org/playhouse_tinker.html
The goal is very clear - get the ball in the cup - and if it doesn't work, you can change or add on to your "Rube Goldberg" model.
I like it! Thanks
ReplyDelete