Chapter 11 Buses ,Knives, Pumps and Students
As I read through Chapter 11, Of Bus Frames and Knife Blades, taking note of the complicated analysis Henry Petroski shared as he processed the possibility and consequences of steel letting go for buses and knives, I thought back to our life experiences in the 1990’s when Chris bought the rights, from the company he was currently with, to manufacture a pump line used in the construction of medical equipment. I assisted in various ways; observing, participating, and listening to Chris, regarding the challenges needing to be met.
Henry wrote about analyzing the possibilities for the knife failure, and concluded after lining up the knifes, the anomaly, Stainless, Japan and Stainless Steel Japan, and stated,” we do not notice such details until we look for explanations, just as no one noticed the inadequate structural detail supporting the hotel walkways in Kansas City until they fell. “
However, perhaps that statement is a bit of a leap. There are fail safes, quality control built into many companies.
I recall a learning experience we had early on, Kaiser Permenente, a California Based Health Care Company had placed an order for a number of pumps. They were manufactured, and sent out within the expected time frame. Were we surprised to find the boxes back at our door, with only one carton opened. I remember calling to ask what the issue was, and the individual I spoke with said their policy was when a product arrives, a sampling is done. With the first box opened they randomly tested 4 out of 20 pumps for flow, a certain number did not meet the flow design requirements, therefore, all 8 to 10 boxes of pumps were sent back to be adjusted and reshipped , at our expense, back and forth both times. With this, profit was marginal. What was the problem with the flow parameters? There were 27 parts to this pump, it could have been a valve, the coil, the assembly. The determination needed to be made to correct the situation, which Chris did. Sometimes it was assembly, sometimes the way the coil was wound, sometimes it was a part received from a vendor, perhaps the size or material, used were incorrect, but there was always a reason, that could be determined.
How can the above be related to a classroom situation?
I think assisting students in their thinking with regard to the possible whys of a situation, what might the the most plausible, and if the opportunity is available to test , to find the errors, mistakes, the correct answer may be one approach. I would appreciate thoughts in this regard.
Dawn Marie Castner
Second Grade Teacher
Mt. View Elementary
Thorndike,Maine 04986
As I read through Chapter 11, Of Bus Frames and Knife Blades, taking note of the complicated analysis Henry Petroski shared as he processed the possibility and consequences of steel letting go for buses and knives, I thought back to our life experiences in the 1990’s when Chris bought the rights, from the company he was currently with, to manufacture a pump line used in the construction of medical equipment. I assisted in various ways; observing, participating, and listening to Chris, regarding the challenges needing to be met.
Henry wrote about analyzing the possibilities for the knife failure, and concluded after lining up the knifes, the anomaly, Stainless, Japan and Stainless Steel Japan, and stated,” we do not notice such details until we look for explanations, just as no one noticed the inadequate structural detail supporting the hotel walkways in Kansas City until they fell. “
However, perhaps that statement is a bit of a leap. There are fail safes, quality control built into many companies.
I recall a learning experience we had early on, Kaiser Permenente, a California Based Health Care Company had placed an order for a number of pumps. They were manufactured, and sent out within the expected time frame. Were we surprised to find the boxes back at our door, with only one carton opened. I remember calling to ask what the issue was, and the individual I spoke with said their policy was when a product arrives, a sampling is done. With the first box opened they randomly tested 4 out of 20 pumps for flow, a certain number did not meet the flow design requirements, therefore, all 8 to 10 boxes of pumps were sent back to be adjusted and reshipped , at our expense, back and forth both times. With this, profit was marginal. What was the problem with the flow parameters? There were 27 parts to this pump, it could have been a valve, the coil, the assembly. The determination needed to be made to correct the situation, which Chris did. Sometimes it was assembly, sometimes the way the coil was wound, sometimes it was a part received from a vendor, perhaps the size or material, used were incorrect, but there was always a reason, that could be determined.
How can the above be related to a classroom situation?
I think assisting students in their thinking with regard to the possible whys of a situation, what might the the most plausible, and if the opportunity is available to test , to find the errors, mistakes, the correct answer may be one approach. I would appreciate thoughts in this regard.
Dawn Marie Castner
Second Grade Teacher
Mt. View Elementary
Thorndike,Maine 04986
No comments:
Post a Comment